Thursday, December 8, 2011

Money Tree

Last January, I decided that I wanted to grow a tree. I bought a small one from Loblaws and I've been meaning to track its growth. I want to study it but I don't really know how to begin. I've always wondered why certain branches have five leaves, others have six but others still have only four.

I wish there was a way to open up the genetic source code and see what's going on in there. I want to design my own plant from scratch. Maybe some day that will be possible; or maybe it already is and I don't know it. I watched an interesting TED lecture about Craig Venter and his colleagues creating synthetic life. Imagine the possibilities. What if we could create plants to do our bidding or to interact with damaged ecosystems? Maybe we can make new fruits and vegetables that are more efficient or delicious (whichever you prefer).

When I leave university, I suspect I will grow more trees. I find them fascinating.

2 comments:

  1. Your money tree is growing so much faster than ours! Not very many sunny days here lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me chuckle, but then it makes me think. I was going to say something like, "trees grow a different number leaves on each branch because.." but then I didn't know how to finish it. Hence no answer. It could be due to room for growth. Older branches have had more time to grow, therefore they have more leaves to compensate for their size and to be able to feed themselves better. I don't know though. Just an artsman guess.

    ReplyDelete